A picture tells a thousand words, and there are some photos that you find yourself staring at for a long, long time. In particular, historical photographs tend to fascinate me the most, because they show a world I would otherwise have never seen for myself.
We recently came across these rare photos from historical archives and decided to share them with you.
1. The ocean liner S.S. Normandie tips over on February 9, 1942 at New York City’s Pier 88.
2. A 16-year-old Arnold Schwarzenegger flexes at his first bodybuilding competition.
3. Russian fishermen show off their impressive catch on the banks of the Volga river, 1924.
4. Surfers in 1922.
5. Young Inuit girl with her husky, 1949.
6. Bikers in the 1960s.
7. A young boy sees a television in a store window for the first time, 1948.
8. James Naismith, the inventor of basketball, has some fun with his wife.
9. Here’s what graduation ceremonies looked like in 1895.
10. An Iranian woman visits the beach in 1960.
11. Poet Joseph Brodsky and his students, 1980s.
12. Margaret Hamilton was the principal software engineer for NASA in 1969. Girl power!
13. Linda Christian, the first-ever “Bond girl,” 1945.
14. King George VI of Britain looks rather serious on this slide, 1938.
15. The stunning Fawzia Fuad, Princess of Iran and Queen of Egypt, in 1939.
16. Players of the Chicago Blackhawks and Toronto Maple Leafs pause mid-game to search for a player’s lost contact lens in 1962.
17. Brothers Adolf and Rudolf Dassler, who founded Adidas and Puma, respectively.
18. Soldiers of the Caucasus pose for a photo in the early part of the 20th century.
19. Japanese Geishas, 1920s.
20. Opening ceremony of the 1980 Moscow Summer Olympic Games
21. Princesses Olga and Tatyana, members of the Russian royal family, 1913.
Be sure to SHARE these fascinating images with your family and friends.